Last year was by far the hottest year on record in the United States. Here's 2012's heat by the numbers:
- Average annual temperature: 55.32 degrees F, a record. The old record was 54.32 degrees, set in 1998.
- Weather stations across the Lower 48 states setting all-time high temperatures: 356.
- Weather stations setting all-time low temperatures: Four.
- Number of states that had their warmest year: 19.
- Months in 2012 that set U.S. heat records: March and July.
- Number of people who experienced at least 10 days of 100-degree heat: 99.1 million.
- Number of consecutive months that the United States had warmer than average temperatures: 16.
- New all-time warmest temperature in South Carolina: 113 degrees.
Source: National Climatic Data Center.