Senior Editor – Justice
Inside Climate News is looking for a Senior Editor of Justice, a newly created position, to join the editorial leadership team and drive impactful nationwide coverage of environmental justice.
The Senior Editor for Justice will build and lead a reporting team:
- to expose with granular precision and human detail the social and racial inequalities of environmental harm and climate vulnerability
- to explain and analyze the equity of proposed and possible solutions – climate legislation, regulation, technology and innovation
- and to give voice to aggrieved communities and enlarge public understanding of environmental justice issues
The Senior Editor will also be involved in ICN programs to train the next generation of journalists, host reporting fellows and develop a pool of freelance talent that will uplift the entire field.
This is a newly created senior position for a talented, accomplished, ambitious and inspired leader with a clear vision of how to achieve impact.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Editor will, in close concert with the executive and managing editors:
- Work with reporters to initiate story ideas, make assignments, guide stories through development and completion and edit copy on deadline.
- Develop a network of publishing partners and collaborators at other news organizations.
- Attract and recruit talent to grow the justice team at ICN.
- Assist the publisher in fundraising efforts.
- Attend conferences and meetings, and publish occasional articles to establish thought leadership.
- Support and contribute to ICN’s collegial culture and positive work environment.
Early Goals – The First Six Months
- Establish a solid body of work across multiple lines of reporting from different regions of the country.
- Develop and articulate a vision for the further development of ICN’s environmental justice reporting.
- Identify reporting talent and make hires, as funding permits.
- Establish working relationships with local media partners in different regions of the country, as well as, national outlets.
- Earn the trust of colleagues and establish smooth and solid working relationships at all levels of the organization.
These qualifications, or their equivalents, are essential:
- 10 years journalism experience, with 5 of them in an editing role, directing enterprise with craft, nuance and excellence
- Knowledge of science, environment and climate; and/or civil rights, social and racial justice, and poverty and marginalization
- Ability to bring diversity and unique insights to our journalism about under covered and ignored communities of color that have been victimized by pollution
- A record as an inspiring and skilled manager of people
- The ability to build teams
- Fluency in Spanish a plus
Our News Organization
- Founded in 2007, Inside Climate News is an independent, non-profit, non-partisan news organization covering the most important story in human history. With 19 full-time staff members, it is one of the largest environmental newsrooms in the country, if not the world.
- As part of its work in the public interest, ICN is establishing a collaborative national reporting network, strengthening the practice of climate and environmental justice journalism and training the next generation of journalists.
- We have a nucleus in New York, a presence in Washington D.C., Boston, and Chicago and staff working from California to Maine. Good ideas propel the operation, wherever they originate.
- We have earned national recognition for our work and many of the most prestigious awards in journalism, including the Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting (2013) and recognition as a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Public Service (2016).
- For more about ICN, please see our Impact Analysis (2007-2019) and our About page.
To Apply: Please send resume, clips and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or email Executive Editor Vernon Loeb directly (email@example.com)
To Get on Our Radar
If you’d like to explore a fit with ICN, please get in touch and let’s start a conversation. A big plus of any of these jobs is good knowledge of the climate and energy arena—the history, the issues and the major players.
Send your résumé and a cover letter. Please explain to us what you want to do and why you would be a good fit. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line QUERY.