Effective date: July 23, 2020
At InsideClimate News we prioritize protecting your privacy.
When you subscribe to our email list or donate to our organization, you may give us personal information about yourself, such as name, email address, or zip code. This policy describes how we treat your information.
About this policy
By accessing this site, you agree to be legally bound by and comply with this User Agreement. If you do not agree to comply with this User Agreement, you are not authorized to use this site.
- Who is collecting your information?
- What personally identifiable information is collected?
- Passive information collection
- How your personally identifiable information may be used and shared
- What choices are available to you regarding collection, use, and distribution of the information?
- What kind of security procedures are in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of your information?
- How you can access, update, or delete your information
- Official terms and conditions
- Information related to minors
- Your California privacy rights
- Copyright and links
1. Who is collecting your information?
We are InsideClimate News, a Pulitzer Prize-winning, non-profit, non-partisan news organization dedicated to covering climate change, energy and the environment. We are responsible for any information collected on our website.
2. What personally identifiable information is collected?
Personally identifiable information is information that identifies you, such as your name, phone number, email address, mailing address, or credit card number (if used to donate).
If you take steps to subscribe to our newsletter or donate to our organization, we will ask you to provide us with these kinds of personally identifiable information. We only obtain this kind of information when you choose to provide it. Individuals who give $35 a year or more may have their name published on our website and in our annual report. If you would prefer not to have your name published, please let us know.
3. Passive information collection
You can visit our site without identifying yourself. We collect data about you, such as your name, address and email address, only when you sign up for our newsletters, donate to us, become a member, apply for a job, or otherwise submit this information to us voluntarily.
However, as you navigate our website, certain information may be collected passively, which means it is gathered without you actively providing it. Here’s how:
- Through your browser: Certain information is collected by most browsers, such as your computer type, operating system type, and Internet browser type and version.
- Through your device: If you access our site through a mobile device or other network-connected product, certain information may be collected about that device, including your device type or network service provider.
- Using cookies: Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type and pages visited. We and our service providers use this information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, display information more effectively, and to personalize your experience while using the site. To learn more about cookies, please visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Using monitoring tools: The site may utilize monitoring tools such as pixel tags for the purpose of, among other things, measuring the success of our marketing campaigns, compiling statistics about site usage and response rates, and tracking user activity.
- IP Address: Your IP Address is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit the site, along with the time of your visit and the page(s) that were visited. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating site usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the site.
- Analytic tools: We also use tools and third party services to collect information about usage of the site, including Google Analytics. You can learn more about Google Analytics, and its privacy practices, at the Google Analytics Help Page. You may opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising or customize Google Display Network ads through the Google Ads Settings page. You may also prevent your data from being collected and used by Google Analytics by opting out through the use of the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
If you are uncomfortable with the idea of this information being collected and used in these ways, most computer systems, devices, and web browsers offer privacy settings and options, such as disabling cookies. We do not override these settings or options and encourage you to use them to enhance your choices and personalize your experiences. However, in order to access certain content, features, or services of the site, you may be required to provide us with certain information. If you do not wish to provide that information through the site or if you opt to utilize the aforementioned privacy features, you may be unable to obtain certain content, features, or services of the site.
4. How your personally identifiable information may be used and shared
We may use your personally identifiable information to give you personalized service (for example, news or information relevant to your location); to send you email alerts; to answer your questions or requests; to facilitate your online membership; and to better understand demographic information about our supporters and website visitors.
Our main goal in our use of your personal information is to better serve you and our other website visitors. We may also use this information to suggest other web site services to you, ask you to become a member, or to solicit donations. You can opt out at any time to stop hearing from us.
We may share your personally-identifiable information, as well as a record of transactions you conduct with us, with third-party advertising and analytics partners and related service providers. We do so in order to deliver information about our work and your opportunity to support it through a variety of communication channels, including online advertising, social media messages, and email messages. We may also work with third party business partners, including advertisers and analytics companies, which use the technologies describe above to passively collect data about your use of our site. These companies use the information they collect to provide you with advertisements relevant to your interests, which may be delivered to you on the site or on third party websites or applications. This is called “Interest-Based Advertising” or “Online Behavioral Advertising.” To learn more about Interest Based Advertising and your options with respect to these practices, please visit www.networkadvertising.org/choices, https://www.oracle.com/legal/privacy/marketing-cloud-data-cloud-privacy-policy.html, http://www.aboutads.info/choices, and https://choice.microsoft.com/en-US/opt-out.
We may disclose your information, whether personally identifying or not, to third parties who perform functions on our behalf such as solicitation or acknowledgment of charitable gifts and aggregate analysis and marketing activities, as well as to professional advisors such as auditors and attorneys. These partners may also combine your email information with other information they have access to such as mailing address so that ICN may serve relevant marketing offers to you via email. While ICN may undertake efforts to see that any third party to which ICN discloses personal information is under an obligation to use the personal information solely for the purposes for which the information was disclosed, such third parties are independent third parties over which ICN exercises no control. ICN is not responsible for, and will not be liable for, the conduct, actions, omissions, or information handling or dissemination practices of third parties. We also may rent or exchange names and postal addresses to other organizations through a broker. If you wish to remove your name from our list rental/exchange program, please contact us to make that request.
Your information and data, whether personally identifying or not, may also be disclosed or distributed to another party with which ICN enters or reasonably may enter into a corporate transaction, such as, for example, a merger, consolidation, acquisition, or asset purchase, or to a third party pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other form of legal process, in response to a request by or on behalf of any local, state, federal, or other government agency, department, or body, whether or not pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other form of legal process, or if determined by ICN in its sole judgment that such disclosure or distribution is appropriate to protect the life, health, or property of ICN or any other person or entity.
5. What choices are available to you regarding collection, use, and distribution of your personally-identifiable information?
Now, or at any time in the future, you can contact us to update your information or to opt-out from receiving messages from ICN.
If you wish to opt-out of participating in Interest Based Advertising, you can use some or all of the following methods:
If you use more than one device, you should renew your opt-out choices on each such device.
6. What kind of security procedures are in place to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of your personally identifying information?
We take commercially reasonable precautions to protect us and our users from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. We take care to utilize appropriate and reasonable administrative, physical, and technical measures to help safeguard personally identifiable information that we control. While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. We also use “anti-hacking” security measures and employ security consultants.
Despite the efforts we use to protect your information, no transmission or electronic storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that with us is no longer secure with us, please contact us immediately.
7. How you can access, update, or delete your information
Please contact us to obtain, change, update or delete our records of your personal information, or to change your privacy options.
ICN reserves the right, at any time and without prior notice, to make updates to this Policy. If we do so, we’ll make sure that updates are indicated in this policy and the current policy will always be posted here. Updates are effective immediately upon posting.
We will not change the overall purpose of this policy, which is to protect your privacy consistent with our goals as a non-profit, non-partisan news organization dedicated to covering climate change, energy and the environment.
9. Official terms and conditions
- Disclaimer: We do our very best to make all our information accurate. But we do not and cannot guarantee its accuracy. InsideClimate News and its affiliates make no warranties, express or implied, about the accuracy, completeness, or reliability of any of the information it provides to the public.
- Disclaimers and Limitation of Liability: Although we intend to take reasonable steps to prevent the introduction of viruses, worms, “Trojan Horses” or other destructive materials to our site, we do not guarantee or warrant that our site or materials that may be downloaded from our site are free from such destructive features. We are not liable for any damages or harm attributable to such features. We are not liable for any claim, loss or injury based on errors, omissions, interruptions or other inaccuracies in our site, nor for any claim, loss or injury that results from your use of this site or your breach of any provision of this user agreement.
- Termination: We reserve the right to terminate the site and this User Agreement at any time without notice for any reason, including, in the case of the User Agreement, for your violation of any of its provisions. The Limitation of Liability and Governing Law Sections of this User Agreement shall survive any such termination.
- Governing Law: This User Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of New York applicable to contracts made and performed there without regard to its conflicts of law principles. You agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in the State and County of New York and waive any jurisdictional, venue or inconvenient forum objections to such courts.
10. Information Related to Minors
This site is not directed to children under 13, and will not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from anyone in this age group. We reserve the right to delete any information identified as having been provided by such persons at our discretion.
11. Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, you are entitled by law to request an information sharing disclosure. If you provide notice to the address below, we will provide you with a notice of your right to prevent sharing of your personal information as well as a cost-free means of doing so. To receive such a notice, please contact us.
12. Copyright and Links
Copyright in this site and the materials included in it, unless otherwise indicated, is owned by InsideClimate News. We do grant permission for republishing our original work upon request on a case by case basis. If you believe that your work has been copied, by us or by any third party on our site in a manner that constitutes copyright infringement, please contact us.
Please note that it is prohibited to download, republish, retransmit, or reproduce material we license from third parties. You may link to the home page of our site as long as the link does not cast us in a false or misleading light. You may not frame the content of our site.
Our site may contain links to other websites that we think may be of interest to you. We have no control over these other sites or their content. You should be aware when you leave our site for another that other sites are governed by their own user agreements and privacy policies, which you should be sure to read.